Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Katane

Well, I've been working at Katane Primary School for about a week and a half now. I have never quite been tested to my limits the way that I have been here in South Africa. I knew what I was getting myself into, but I guess you never REALLY know until you experience it first hand. First off, Katane is the biggest of the three schools that we have given the laptops to. Second, the children and teachers at Katane know the least amount of English. So basically, I was ready for all of that...
All of the children seemed so excited to receive the laptops and it was a very heartwarming experience for me to see the look on their faces. I was really taken back by how something so small (the laptop) could potentially have such a huge impact on their lives. It's still hard to believe that I'm a part of something so big.
Throughout the last week or so, the biggest challenge that I've had to deal with is the lack of teacher involvement. One of the teachers though, Welhemina Mafora, kept my spirits up by her amazing zest for life and her desire for the children to succeed. A lot of the teachers have restored my faith recently though. I guess I have to realize that using something that some of them have never seen before must be very difficult.
The language barrier was really taking a toll on everyone. THANK GOD for the people that came to help us from the Kliptown project. They have been so amazing and the children are really starting to understand the computers and all they can do with them.
With only a few days left I'm left to reflect on my trip. Maybe everything didn't go exactly how I planned it or thought it should be, but when it's all said and done, I know I gave these kids 100%. I see so much promise in so many of the kids and I can only pray that they will reach their full potential.
Many lives will change because of these laptops and I'm so happy to be here to see it start .

No comments: